International Society of Philology
1961 GMP Z. Harris
1961 GMP ZELLIG HARRIS
GOLD MEDAL OF PHILOLOGY 1961
Zellig Sabbettai Harris (October 23, 1909 – May 22, 1992) was a very influential American linguist, mathematical syntactician, and methodologist of science. Originally a Semiticist, he is best known for his work in structural linguistics and discourse analysis and for the discovery of transformational structure in language. These developments from the first 10 years of his career were published within the first 25. His contributions in the subsequent 35 years of his career include transfer grammar, string analysis (adjunction grammar), elementary sentence-differences (and decomposition lattices), algebraic structures in language, operator grammar, sublanguage grammar, a theory of linguistic information, and a principled account of the nature and origin of language.
- 1936. A Grammar of the Phoenician Language. Ph.D. dissertation. American Oriental Series, 8.
- 1939. Development of the Canaanite Dialects: An Investigation in Linguistic History. American Oriental Series, 16.
- 1946. "From Morpheme to Utterance". Language 22:3.161–183.
- 1951. Methods in Structural Linguistics
- 1962. String Analysis of Sentence Structure
- 1968. Mathematical Structures of Language
- 1970. Papers in Structural and Transformational Linguistics
- 1976. Notes du Cours de Syntaxe (in French)
- 1981. Papers on Syntax
- 1982. A Grammar of English on Mathematical Principles
- 1988. Language and Information (French translation : Ibrahim A.H. et Martinot Cl., La langue et l'information, Paris, CRL.)
- 1989. The Form of Information in Science: Analysis of an immunology sublanguage
- 1991. A Theory of Language and Information: A Mathematical Approach
- 1997. The Transformation of Capitalist Society
- 2002. "The background of transformational and metalanguage analysis." Introduction to The Legacy of Zellig Harris: Language and Information into the 21st Century: Vol. 1: Philosophy of science, syntax, and semantics, John Benjamins Publishing Company (CILT 228).